As I meet and talk to my readers, I notice that some of them are real beginners when it comes to cooking. Some of them are scared of even boiling an egg and others look for simple salad recipes to make. At first, I was surprised. Maybe it’s because I’ve been around great cooks for some time that I’ve been assuming everyone knows the basics. Truth is they don’t. Through the “Basic Thursday” series, I am addressing beginners who aspire to be good cooks.
Guacamole is something obvious to make for people who usually spend time in the kitchen, but I noticed it’s a huge subject of debate when it comes to which ingredients to include. I thought about sharing my version of a quick guacamole you can mix in fast when you’re out of ideas of what to eat or what to serve last-minute visitors.
First, some tips!
Tip number 1: If you’re a guacamole and avocado lover, make sure you always have a few avocados lying around the house. These babies are almost never in season and it takes them a few days to be ready.
Tip number 2: don’t panic if you don’t have all the ingredients on this list and don’t go buying them on purpose – unless you plan on making lots of guacamole. Lemon juice and pepper can do.
Tip number 3: each time you season the mashed avocados, have a taste. This is the best way you’ll know it reached the perfect taste.
So here goes.
What you’ll need (for 4 persons)
- 3 large avocados or 5 small ones
- 1 small red onion
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp Ginger powder, to taste
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder, to taste
- Lemon or lime juice
How to make it
- Start by mashing the avocados in a bowl.
- Dice the onions and add them to the mashed avocados.
- Add 2 Tbsp of lemon juice and mix until you can no longer see the liquid.
- Add a pinch of salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp ginger powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and mix.
- Taste and season according to what you think is missing. Do not add ginger and garlic powder. You can add lemon/lime juice and pepper for additional zing.
So any thoughts? 😉
Don’t forget to tag us if you try our recipes and tips: #breadonbutter