The key to successful and tasty dishes is the herbs and spices you add to them. What we do is always add flavor to anything we cook. Even if you’re just making eggs, or just plain pasta, or a nice steak or grilled chicken. The spices you’ll add to them will make a huge difference. Of course there are a lot of spices you can find in the supermarket, but how about you make your own blend of NINE spices?
All you need are these 9 types of spices:
– 3 teaspoons mustard seeds
– 3 teaspoons coriander seeds
– 3 teaspoons fennel seeds
– 2 cinnamon sticks
– 3 teaspoons ground nutmeg
– 3 tablespoons cumin seeds
– 6 tablespoons dried thyme
– 6 tablespoons dried oregano
– 3 teaspoons black peppercorns
I’m giving you basic measures of how much of each to use but the thing is, you choose the intensity of one spice over the other, depending on the taste of the people you cook for.
1) Crush the cinnamon sticks
2) In a dry pan, toast the mustard, coriander, fennel and cumin seeds along with the crushed cinnamon sticks, on high heat for 2-3 minutes, then cool.
3) Transfer to a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients and crush to the consistency of breadcrumbs
4) Mix well
And that’s it! You can either use them immediately on what you’re cooking or store them in a jar for up to 3 months.