On this cloudy Saturday morning, I decided to bake muffins. The simple, basic muffin recipe, with a little twist.
I remember the smell of muffins from when I was 8 and used to sleep at my grandparents’ house on weekends. This smell always makes me want to have a muffin dipped in jam then in coffee. Apricot jam to be exact. This is what I woke up dreaming about this morning for breakfast.
So what I did for my little twist was to add jam to the muffin’s interior. It is the best surprise to have when enjoying one, and here’s how to do it.
What you will need:
– 1 egg
– 120 ml milk
– 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 200 g plain flour
– 100 g caster sugar
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven at 200 degrees Celsius and line the muffin tins with baking cups (or grease them with flour and butter)
1) Beat the egg with a fork
2) Then stir in the milk and the oil
3) Sift the flour into a large bowl
4) Add the sugar, baking powder and salt
5) Add the egg mixture to the flour and stir until the flour is moistened. The batter should be lump, do not overmix. You can add a pinch of vanilla powder at the end.
6) Fill the muffin tins:
– For normal muffins with no jam inside: fill the 2/3 of the muffin tin
– For muffins with jam inside: fill 1/3 of the tin with the muffin mix, then put a small spoon of jam on top, then cover the other third (see image below)
And there you go! I have been serving them for breakfast, dessert and with tea all Saturday!