It takes a slightly fresh weather and comfort food cravings to come up with the idea of cooking a nice chicken curry. The dish is full of flavors and leaves you completely satisfied with your meal. I always thought these kinds of dishes needed a basic recipe that the cook could play around with. The choice of spices, vegetables, proteins, and the level of spiciness are completely subjective. So here is a recipe you can use as a base and then manipulate according to your preferences.
Chicken Curry Recipe
Ingredients (for 6 persons):
- 1 kg chicken (a mix of diced chicken breast and chicken thighs)
- 1/4 cup vegetable cooking oil
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 4 large red tomatoes, finely diced
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 800 ml coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 1.5 Tbsp mustard
- Olive oil, to sprinkle
- 300 ml water
- In a large pot, heat 3/4 of the vegetable oil and cook the chicken until slightly brown. Remove from pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the onions, garlic and ginger. Cook until slightly brown.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Add the rest of the vegetable oil and all the spices. Mix well.
- Add the chicken and mix well to coat.
- Add the coconut milk and mix.
- Add the green beans and mix.
- Add a handful of chopped coriander, the mustard and a sprinkle of olive oil and mix.
- Add 300 ml of water and mix.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the fire and cover the pot. Let it simmer until the chicken is very tender and the sauce is thick.
- Taste and season with salt, pepper or spices as you see fit.
What would you add/remove?