There are two sides to the snacks story. One that says you should have three set meals a day and munch on nothing in between; and another that encourages small snacks in between meals to keep your metabolism busy. Naturally, I’m a fan of the latter. There’s nothing worse than not being able to satisfy your afternoon munchies or eleven o’clock “screw-this-I’m-having-lunch” envy. That’s why I keep these 5 healthy snacks handy at all times to get me through the day. So here goes:
- A shiny Granny-Smith apple or a banana – these are the only two fruits I feel I can carry around wherever I go. I would love to snack on strawberries, oranges or clementines, but I keep them at home as I enjoy them more there than at work on in the car on my way to meetings
- 0% fat yogurt – I keep this snack for when it’s 6 o’clock and I still have to wait one workout and a shower until I have dinner. Trust me, this is the best snack you can have to curb that 6 o’clock appetite.
- A teaspoon of peanut butter – this is for when I’m craving for something salty. A single teaspoon of it keeps me full for at least 2 hours straight.
- Granola – Instead of helping myself to brown bread at breakfast or lunch, I swap it for a handful of granola when I need something to munch on. Jordan’s is my current favorite brand.
- Lindt Dark Sea Salt Chocolate – I keep a 10g square of this dark chocolate for the days when I’m desperate for a piece of chocolate. Just letting it melt in my mouth removes all the sweet cravings I might have.
Note: Of course, I never have all 5 snacks on a same day.
Any other healthy snacks ideas? What are yours?
Don’t forget to tag us if you try our recipes and tips: #breadonbutter