Lately, Lebanese people have been feeling exhausted (know more here). Mostly mentally, but also physically because the mind automatically impacts the body. Emotional exhaustion is basically losing sleep, fighting off anxiety, analyzing what to do, coming up with Plan Bs, Cs, Ds and Es, and keeping up with a somewhat normal life (maintaining our jobs and for us parents, keeping up with our kids who have no clue about what is happening ). On a personal level, I was recently on the verge of a burn out, which qualifies as the “emotionally exhausted” level. I had to act fast in order to stay strong for my family and not let myself crumble and reach actual burn out.
So, from that experience, here are a few tips on how to quickly get back on your feet when facing emotional exhaustion:
- Stop everything and get back to bed. Turn off your phone (or divert all calls except the school or nursery for parents), turn on the TV for something light and just sit there with a warm cup of tea/coffee for a few hours. Do not consider this a waste of time! If this is what you need to do to self-care, then do it.
- Feeling like leaving the house and seeing people is too much? Just don’t. There is nothing wrong with shutting yourself out for as long as you need. Forget about social pressure. Your mind needs it.
- Cooking is therapy. Dive into meal prep, dough-making and baking. You won’t regret it.
- Pile up romantic comedies and light reads, and wind down.
- If you’re into it, start writing a journal. Pour your thoughts on a piece of paper that no one will ever see. There’s something magical about it. If you’re not into writing down your feelings, something as small as a food log might make you happy.
- Create new self-care habits, like drinking a camomille/ glass of wine before bed, or a new skincare routine. Whatever small thing that makes you happy!
- Last but not least, talk to someone! It can be a life coach, a psychologist or even chatting away with those few close friends you’ve made over the years. The ones that understand you and would never ever judge you. Chances are they feel the same.
Any other fast self-care tips during emotional exhaustion? Let us know!
Click here for Self-Care as A Mom!