It takes a slightly fresh weather and comfort food cravings to come up with the idea of cooking a nice chicken curry. The dish is full of flavors and leaves you completely satisfied with your meal. I always thought these kinds of dishes needed a basic recipe that the cook could play around with. The choice of spices, vegetables, proteins, and the level of spiciness are completely subjective. So here is a recipe you can use as a base and then manipulate according to your preferences.
There are days when you just know what you need to eat to feel better. We all have that unwritten list of comfort food that is easy to make and can satisfy our tummies and overworked minds in no time. I won’t bore you with my long list. For now, I’ll just present you with one of my go-to dishes. I discovered this obvious meal at my mother-in-law’s one day. We got to their house one afternoon and I saw that they had a tasty-looking potato meal. I asked what it was and they answered something like ‘teased potatoes’. I’d like to tease my potatoes is what I thought. The recipe was simple, I was told. It’s all about the spice mix you add to potato cubes, and – stay cool – adding an egg at the very end! Without knowing exactly which spices to use and what were the exact steps, I set out to make my own ‘teased’ potatoes. I cannot guarantee that the ingredient quantities I’ll be sharing now are the same every time. This is a question of taste, and of pure fun. Just put on some happy music and go spontaneous.
I’ll share the ingredient and the steps I go through to make this dish and let you take it from there.
Comfort Food: Potatoes and Spices Recipe
What you’ll need (for 2 persons):
- 4 large potatoes, cut in small cubes
- 1 Tbsp Chili powder or Peperoncino
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 0.5 tsp Ginger powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Salt, to taste
- 3 eggs
- 4 Tbsp Olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
How to make it:
- In a large pot, cook the garlic and onions in the olive oil slightly.
- Add the potato cubes and mix to combine everything together. Cook until the potatoes are slightly tender.
- Add all of the spices and mix to combine.
- Cook until the potatoes are tender the add the salt and immediately break the 3 eggs then mix to combine.
Serve once the eggs are cooked and enjoy (dare I say, in front of the TV)! 😉
What’s your go-to comfort food?
Don’t forget to tag us if you try our recipes and tips: #breadonbutter
Afterwards, they always had tea in the kitchen, much the nicest room in the house ― Flora Thompson
When cooks come together, the kitchen becomes only action and camaraderie. After all, good food and a warm kitchen is the essence of making a house, a home. So when Lina – a friend of my mom’s I’ve grown up to love – agreed to welcome me in her kitchen and sniff around, I was delighted! With a great, positive and fun personality, Lina is also a great cook. She has the gift of a mixed cultural background and thus the gift of a wide recipe index. I spent an entire morning in this sweet kitchen, photographing her tools, her spices and objects. She then taught me 2 recipes I will be sharing in the second part of this Kitchen Tour tomorrow. For now, here are my favorite things in Lina’s kitchen.
It all started with a delicious cup of coffee and fresh mini croissants.
In Lina’s kitchen you can find all kinds of spices, a snack bar, a breadmaker and all the flour in the world, and beautiful Picasso mirror coffee cups.
The detail to absolutely memorize is the beautiful kitchen top made from slate (Ardoise in french)
The object to dream about is this pastel yellow Kitchen Aid mixer
And here’s a preview of Lina’s Kitchen Tour Part II, tomorrow on Breadonbutter 🙂
Hoping to inspire you, always.
This is a special dedication to spicy food lovers. I’m sure you can relate to the feeling of just wanting something hot to eat, that explodes in your mouth when you take a spoonful. Well this is it! I promise some tears and pink eyes after this.
Of course, it would be ideal to have fresh, well-cleaned shrimps for this dish, but for busy bees, last-minute meals can be cooked with frozen things from time to time. It’s no problem.
So here’s what you’ll need (for 4 persons):
– 1 kg of Shrimps of your choice
– 2 tablespoons of strong Paprika
– 1 teaspoon of Coriander seeds, crushed
– 1 teaspoon of grounded Turmeric
– 1 teaspoon of Black Pepper seeds, crushed
– 1/4 teaspoon of Ground Cloves
– 1/4 teaspoon of Ground Cardamom
– 60 ml of Water
– 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
– 2 medium Onions, diced
– 500 g of Tomatoes, diced or Tomato Juice
– 2 tablespoons of Fresh Coriander Leaves for garnish
How to make it is pretty simple:
1) In a bowl, mix all of the dry spices, then add the water on top
2) In a hot wok, sautÃ© the onions in the olive oil, then add the spice mix and let it heat
3) Add the shrimps, season and mix
4) Add the tomatoes or tomato juice and let simmer for a few minutes or until the sauce has combined and thickened
Serve with some brown rice and a bottle of well refrigerated white wine! Simply Delicious!