Yesterday marked the first day of fall. Although the heat is still on and humidity is more stable than ever, this date instantly makes me think about cooler temperatures, fresh air and a light cardigan.
I’ve been looking at recipes lately and I find myself drawn to soups and comfort food. This year, I have come to the decision of making more and more one-pot dinners. I collaborated with Bibayti to create recipes for Happy – the supermarket chain. Here’s a simple and inexpensive chicken and rice (in one pot the whole time, I promise!). Stay tuned for warm food and new recipes throughout the new season!
One-pot chicken and rice
What you’ll need (for 4 persons):
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 kg chicken, diced
- 400 g fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 40 ml light cooking cream
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Any other spices of your choice (1 tsp of each)
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander leaves
How to make it:
- In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper (you can add any other spices of your choice) and cook until slightly golden
- Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, mix frequently.
- Add the rice, chicken stock and cream. Season.
- Mix everything together and bring to the boil. Then lower the heat and cover until the rice is cooked.
- Serve with fresh coriander on top!